UIDP Bay Area Forum
December 4 @ 8:00 am - December 5 @ 4:00 pm
UIDP is pleased to return to California for the Bay Area Forum, Dec. 4-5, 2019 hosted by Varian Medical Systems in Palo Alto.
The Forum will include sessions on contemporary issues affecting collaborations between the academic and industry sectors, featuring panels and breakout sessions on topics ranging from:
- Foreign collaboration: recruitment, retention, and cross-border collaborations;
- Accessing data;
- Joint academy and industry hires;
- Diversity and inclusion;
- Public dedication of IP; and
- Building a career in academic-corporate relations.
Included in the program is a day-long UIDP Academy workshop on Organizational Design of University-Facing Industry Research Groups. Pricing for the UIDP Bay Area Forum is structured for participants to attend either one or both days and for organizations to bring multiple attendees.REGISTER
See fees and more information below
Agenda is subject to change.
We have assembled an outstanding set of presenters and facilitators, including:
- Gabriela Cruz Thompson, director of university research and collaboration, Intel Labs;
- Jess Erickson, research program manager, Facebook;
- Kelsey Evans, executive director, corporate relations, University of Texas;
- Dana Pulliam Gharda, director, global university recruiting & programs, Lam Research;
- Randy Hall, vice president of research, USC;
- Chip Hay, Jr., corporate engagement, engineering, western/Pacific area, Princeton;
- Mark Nolan, associate vice president, institutional partnerships, Carnegie Mellon; and
- Chris Ramming, senior director of research and innovation, VMWare.
UIDP Academy Workshop – Dec. 5
Many companies find value in establishing research collaborations with universities and have done so using organizational structures ranging from the “volunteer” end of the spectrum to the formal establishment of dedicated researchers and research teams. This workshop will seek to identify a range of available organizational models and evaluate their strengths and weaknesses both from the company perspective and from the university perspective.
There are a broad range of questions to consider:
- What models and best practices work best for multi-stakeholder research?
- How do we measure success?
- What individual roles and responsibilities are needed?
- Which models do universities find most conducive to collaboration?
- What is an effective ratio of internal investment to external university granting?
- How does the choice of model effect technology transfer and strategic impact?
- What governance mechanisms are effective for supporting these organizations in university collaborations?
- What are the pros and cons of different funding mechanisms – operational expenses, philanthropic grants, etc.?
The workshop will begin with practice overviews by corporate participants and follow with reactions and experience reports by university representatives who have interacted with corporations using different models. During the afternoon, the groups will examine some of the key questions on a point-by-point basis, with the aim of developing a quick guide for companies that want to build or refine university-facing research organizations. A major subgoal of this workshop is to develop a community of practice around university research engagement.
Who Should Attend
Individuals with these job responsibilities will find the Forum of value
- Corporate, Academic and Foundation Relations
- Economic Development
- IP and Technology Commercialization
- Research Leadership
- Workforce Development
Varian Medical Systems
3100 Hansen Way
Palo Alto, CA 94304
IMPORTANT: Book your lodging as soon as possible, as hotels in this area will sell out.
AirBnB offers a number of accommodation types at many price levels.
Courtyard Palo Alto Los Altos
2 miles from the event venue
4320 El Camino Real
Los Altos, CA 94022
Room block expires: Nov. 11
Crowne Plaza San Jose Silicon Valley
777 Bellew Dr, Milpitas, CA 95035
15 miles from the event venue
$265/night plus tax
Book Your Room Online Now!
or call 1-888-233-9527 and use group code UIDP_PK
Rooms must be booked by Nov. 1, 2019
UIDP Academy Workshop: Dec. 5
Group rate Dec. 4-5 (includes 5 registrations)
Online registration closes on Mon. Nov. 25, 2019