Members Sign In

News & Blog

1-Minute Survey | Faculty Sabbaticals in Industry

A number of companies offer formal programs for university faculty to spend a summer sabbatical at a company site. Benefits of these programs include bringing a fresh perspective to solve research challenges, the prospect of joint publication, enhanced understanding of research translation, and strengthening university-industry research partnerships overall. Download the full results here.

Of those responding to the survey, 11% said they have dedicated summer sabbatical programs hosting researchers, while 25% chose “Other.”

In the “Other” category, respondents specified that they either:

  • have a sabbatical program that is not tied to summer specifically,
  • do not have a formalized program but do host researchers on a case-by-case basis, or
  • have a program comparable to a summer sabbatical.

Among the companies that did have faculty sabbatical programs, a third indicated that they directly pay the faculty member as an employee. All other respondents (67%) indicated that they compensated participants in a combination of ways, including as an employee, as a contractor, or by paying the university to pay the faculty.

Among those responded with a faculty salary range, most said it is relatively low. Two-thirds (67%) indicated that the compensation is less than $10,000 a month, with the remaining respondents (33%) reporting that compensation was between $10,000 and $12,000 a month. Additionally, a third of the surveyed industry representatives indicated that any additional participating faculty benefits were tied to the faculty seniority/salary. Another third stated that the faculty had the same benefits as employees, and the remaining were unsure of any benefits for participating faculty.


Survey fielded March 2023 | n=28