- This event has passed.
UIDP Academy: Contemporary Contracting Approaches
March 23, 2020 @ 9:00 am - 2:15 pm
Please note: This workshop will be presented in two parts during UIDPVirtual 2020 Conference
Part 1: 9 a.m. – 10:15 a.m.
Part 2: 1 – 2:15 p.m.
- Elaine Brock, UIDP
- Jarrett Ellis, Georgia Tech
- Jeff Fortin, Penn State University
Companies and universities are seeking better ways to strike collaborations between the sectors. There are a number of relatively new contracting approaches that have been adopted. This session will provide an overview of alternative contracting approaches including:
1. Contracting Continuum: Georgia Tech has adopted and promoted the Contract Continuum as a way to give potential industry sponsors a better understanding of how the university enters into agreements with companies.
2. Monetized foreground IP models: Examples include Minnesota Innovation Partnerships and Penn State’s model.
3. Industry consulting via university agreement: Faculty members in the U.S. have been allowed to consult one day a week (or 20% of their time) for external parties such as industry. This session will explore how some universities have developed programs that allow this consulting time to be brought in house and compensation for faculty members through a university agreement with the company.
4. Public dedication of IP: This is an approach being used by firms such as Facebook, Intel, and VMWare that stipulates that foreground IP generated by company-sponsored work is placed in the public domain. UIDP recently completed a quick guide on this topic.
5. Selling excess capacity: This will include a review of what universities need to consider when deciding whether and how to offer services and capacities of unique facilities to companies as users.REGISTER
This will be a fast-paced participatory workshop including presentations by from industry and academia. Attendee questions, discussion, and active participation will be encouraged. Presenters will provide an overview of some contracting approaches, describe their experiences using these approaches, and highlight lessons learned from using these various approaches.
Agenda coming soon
Who Should Attend?
This workshop is targeted to corporate and academic contracting professionals with responsibility in university or industry research, university-industry partnerships, and negotiating sponsored research agreements.
General Meeting & UIDP Academy Workshops
- Members: $400
- Non-Members: $5o0
One Day Pass
- Members: $125
- Non-Members: $150