- This event has passed.
UIDP Academy: Developing Effective Strategic Roadmaps
July 30 @ 1:30 pm - 6:00 pm
Here’s your opportunity to attend two UIDP Academy Workshops at the University of Oxford. You can explore the campus, stay overnight at historic Keble College, dine in the magnificent Victorian Gothic Dining Hall – all for one fee. See details below.
This workshop takes place immediately prior to the Oxford UIDP Summit and
requires its own registration. To attend the Oxford UIDP Summit, you must apply to register separately.
Developing Effective Strategic Roadmaps Overview
Roadmapping is a technique for planning an organization’s future technological capabilities to ensure they meet its commercial and/or strategic goals. This workshop will cover basic tools and techniques for roadmapping as well as case studies that illustrate how these roadmaps are used to both establish strategic direction as well as identify partnership needs.
This workshop will be highly interactive. We will use a combination of presentations and panel discussions to set the stage and framework for roadmapping. The workshop will transition into facilitated breakouts and group work as we apply general principles and frameworks to real-world situations. Participants are encouraged to come with problems, scenarios, and topics/questions of direct relevance to their own organization. The facilitator will supply additional case stories and examples taken from real-world practicum.
Mark Schmidt – John Deere
Angel Hedberg – Research Triangle Institute (RTI)
Nicky Athanassopoulou – University of Cambridge
Evgeny Rezunenko, PACE Business Partners
The workshop will focus on, but not be limited to, these primary areas:
- What is Strategic Roadmapping? Process, approaches, and aspects of various approaches.
- Case Studies. Practitioners will share examples of how they have used roadmapping to set strategic direction and then used these roadmaps to take action on setting research portfolio and partnership strategy.
- Group Exercises. Workshop participants will share their most challenging problems, which we will use as a basis for group exercises.
Key questions that will be addressed include:
- What is roadmapping and when should we undergo such a process?
- How can we set a meaningful and actionable vision for the future based on roadmapping?
- How and when should I engage strategic partners in discussions on future directions?
- How do we measure progress and set in-process measures to determine when or if adjustments to the roadmaps should be made?
Who Should Attend
This workshop is intended primarily for individuals in industry involved in corporate strategy or strategic partnership development and academic professionals involved in the development of long-term strategic partnerships. While the workshop will be focused on best practices and success drivers from an industry perspective we will also discuss how partners institutions can link their planning to the roadmaps of their strategic partners. In order to maximize direct engagement among attendees and speakers, attendance is limited.
CONFERENCE LOCATION AND LODGING
Download the logistics memo for other important details.
Cost includes two workshops, lodging at Keble College for one night (Tues., July 30), all meals and receptions on July 30 and breakfast and lunch July 31.