- This event has passed.
Oxford UIDP Summit
July 31 - August 2
A transatlantic conference for senior-level university and industry professionals, and government policymakers
Watch the Oxford UIDP Live Stream
July 31, 8:30 – 10:15 a.m. (EDT) / 13:30 – 15:15 (BST)
View the live stream of the Oxford UIDP Summit Welcome, Keynote sessions and first session as a single event.
All the other sessions in the lecture theatre will be recorded and will be available after the event is over.
Attend the Oxford UIDP Summit, lodge at
at historic Keble College at the University of Oxford.
July 30–31, 2019: Optional Pre-Summit Workshops
July 31–Aug. 2, 2019: Oxford UIDP Summit
The University of Oxford in collaboration with UIDP is hosting a three-day summit in Oxford, UK. This event will bring together global businesses, top universities and leading policymakers from both sides of the Atlantic to explore new and better ways to partner.
The phrase “Triple Helix” has been around for a long time, but the relationship between government, universities, and industry has never had such urgent attention as it does now. All countries wrestle with the question of how to take knowledge generated and developed in their best universities and harness it for the good of the economy and society through technology transfer and collaboration with global businesses.
Though all sectors approach this problem in different ways, we have a greater understanding than ever of just how complex this landscape is and what works in order to best direct resources.
The UIDP has done substantive work in this area and developed a strategic set of metrics that can be evaluated and customized for use by individual organizations. This event will consider these metrics, and how they can be applied.
Summit sessions will:
- Compare approaches, for finding collectible, telling metrics between jurisdictions and companies seeking to understand best practice and develop actionable questions for UIDP to take forward.
- Uncover examples of and opportunities for the use of AI and learn from each other as we increasingly understand the complexity and scale of the underlying data, and begin to turn to AI and machine learning solutions to extract meaning and consider action.
- Share company leaders’ experiences of new models to develop global partnerships and engagement with research institutions as shifting global structures prompt them to consider how to intelligently prepare for the future.
Oxford UIDP SummitAGENDA
Agenda is subject to change.
Oxford UIDP Summit Agenda Highlights
The agenda is still being developed but Summit attendees can look forward to:
General interest sessions
- What has changed in the last 5 years? Perspectives from the USA, Canada,
- Metrics for Decision Making Are metrics just for measuring – how do businesses use metrics to make decisions? How do you measure value added?
- Social Sciences: As we move increasingly to digital net-izen power and 85% of global population will be concentrated in cities where new business models/policies/ trends/technologies can be accelerated, we cannot afford to exclude social science.
- Globalization Is it the end for the US and the UK as Research Leaders? Will include feedback from the latest UIDP workshop
- Using AI to make strategic partnering decisions
- Diversity and inclusion
- Investing for the Future, Research, and Industrial Competitiveness
- Panelists: Sir Mark Walport, UKRI, Walt Copan, NIST,
- Moderator: Alison Campbell OBE, Knowledge Transfer Ireland
- Data companies in the Triple Helix
- Metrics for decision making
- Government metrics and their effects
- How local government impacts business partnering
- Data-driven decision making
- Research globalization
- Innovating consortia models
- Researcher mobility
- Workforce and talent development
- Government and economic development
Sector Networking Tours
- Automotive Sector
Wednesday, July 31
Reception • 6:30–8 p.m.
Divinity School, Bodleian Library
Dinner • 8–10 p.m.
Keble Dining Hall
Thursday, Aug. 1
Reception • 6–7:30 p.m.
Formal Dinner • 7:30 p.m.–midnight
Keble Dining Hall
Business dress required
Oxford UIDP Summit Fees
Oxford UIDP Summit • £950
Accommodation for two nights (Wed. July 31–Fri. Aug. 1) at historic Keble College, and all meals and receptions are included in the event fee.
This is a unique opportunity to reside at a University of Oxford college and dine in the magnificent Victorian Gothic Dining Hall. All rooms are ensuite and serviced daily, and include internet access points.
Additional fee required (see below)
Tuesday, July 30 • 1:30–6 p.m.
Wednesday, July 31 • 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Additional UIDP Academy Workshops • £250
CONFERENCE LOCATION AND LODGING
Accommodation at historic Keble College is included in the event fee.
This is a unique opportunity to reside at a University of Oxford college and dine in the magnificent Victorian Gothic Dining Hall. All rooms are ensuite and serviced daily, with internet access points.
For other important event details, please download the logistics memo.
Nafiz Karabudak, Corporate Global Technology Manager, Lockheed Martin
Anna-Marie Greenaway, Director of International University Relationships, BP
Paul Beasley, Head of R&D UK, Seimens
Malcolm Skingle, Academic Liaison, GSK
Mark Schmidt, Principal Scientist/ Manager, Global University Relations, John Deere
Sean Fielding, Director of Innovation, Impact, and Business, University of Exeter
Dave Bembo, Director, Research and Innovation Services, University of Cardiff
James Wilkie, Director, Enterprise and Innovation, University of Birmingham
Koenraad Debackere, Executive Director KU Leuven Research and Development, LERU
Alice Frost, Director of Knowledge Exchange, UKRI
Alison Campbell, Director, Knowledge Transfer Ireland
Lesley Thompson, Director, Academic and Government Strategic Alliance, Elsevier
Tomas Coates Ulrichsen, Research Associate, University of Cambridge
Joe Marshall, Chief Executive, National Centre for Universities and Business
Patrick Grant, Pro-Vice-Chancellor Research, University of Oxford
Grace Wang, Senior Vice Chancellor for Research and Economic Development, The State University of New York